Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Microsoft Visual SourceSafe (VSS) Is Utterly Useless

Or more precisely the reports from this product are utterly useless.

I'm trying to update a spreadsheet that's used to keep track of program migration information (may be not a brilliant idea but that's how my employer wants it).

The reports can be copied to the clipboard but...

Can I get a list of files with their version numbers, checkin user, last checked in date? No, I can get some of this information in a format that's not easily manipulated by anything really.

Can I get a list of files that I could cut and paste into a spreadsheet with out much manipulation? Kind of, but if the file names are long they get broken into two lines with the rest of the useless information about the file effectively corrupting the file name.

There's a little pop up window that shows the version with the file name but it can’t be re-sized and of course the info doesn't fit in the window making even screen dumping a non-trivial task. The content of this window can’t, as far as I can tell, be copied to the clipboard.

You can also preview the reports but they don't resemble what’s printed and a report that previews acceptably seems to only print in the left 1/3rd of the paper.

At the moment I'm using a combination of screen dumps from the main screen (which doesn’t show version numbers) for my file list and right clicking on each file to find out what the latest version number and checkin user is and typing this information into the spread sheet.

You’d have thought that something that controls versions of files might actually display the version number of the file with the file.

Also, VSS starts very slowly (minutes sometimes) and when I Googled for a fix to this I started reading about all the horror stories of VSS.

Apparently Microsoft don't use VSS for source control. I don't blame them.

No comments: